Monday 15 October 2012

Special People, Special birthdays, Special Cakes!



This is a very important year! Not only on the national level with the Olympics etc, but it’s also the school year that my friends and I all turn 18! I had an amazing (and foodie!) 18th birthday this past weekend, which I will blog about soon, but for today I have a couple of cakes that I’ve made for friends recently. Very recently in one case!

First of all- Aimee: my amazing best friend of 14 years who became a fully fledged adult in September. She is such a Francophile, and she loves Paris in particular (who doesn’t?) and so I had to go with a Parisian theme on this cake, complete with Eiffel Tower, Leuvre Pyramid, baguettes, croissants, macarons and metro tickets (that Aimee has all over her bedroom wall :-) It also had a tricolore ribbon trim and tricolore coloured cake layers.
I was quite happy with this Eiffel tower- entirely royal icing :-) 




this lovely photo was taken by the birthday girl herself, she is an amazing photographer with an brilliant camera!

I think the cake went down quite well, the Eiffel tower is still in Aimee’s glass cupboard! She even blogged about it on her wonderfully cool fashion blog, you can see the post here:      http://fashionicing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/a-parisian-style-birthday.html

The second cake in this post belongs to Liv, not only a best friend but also an almost birthday-twin! Her 18th is today, and mine was yesterday! We have so many silly jokes between us, it was tough to decide which to present to her in cake form today! I went for one of our favourite Youtube sensations in the end, the amazing Potter Puppet Pals- if you havn’t watched them I suggest you follow this link straight away! http://www.youtube.com/user/potterpuppetpals?feature=CBwQwRs%3D
The cake was decorated with gold and silver stars, a copper glitter ‘18’, but most importantly sugar versions of the Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, Voldemort and Dumbledore puppets (I will point out that Neville is represented by a butternut squash!)


Neville, the slightly lonely butternut squash

Voldemort had to hide at the back- he's too evil for the front!

Liv cut the cake this afternoon, and I was told that it was very yummy! (chocolate cake with Nutella and marshmallows as the filling- a favourite combo of ours! )
Happy Birthday Livla!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment